In order to become a foster parent in Chaffee County, we require the completion of 27 class credits. Classes are a mixture of web-based and in-service formats. Credits are also a mixture of required and elective formats.
For the current number of credits awarded per class, please contact us.
Please note that for each additional year you are a foster parent, you’ll need to complete a 20 credit requirement to remain licensed. This might sound like a lot of credits, but surprisingly, it is generally not a big deal. The classes are primarily informational with a small “quiz” at the end, which can be retaken several times and is “open book” format. So generally, these credits do not pose a big inconvenience.
STEP 1 – WEB-BASED CLASSES
Each potential foster parent must complete the following web-based classes.
- The Reasonable and Prudent Parent Standard
- Safe Sleep: Creating Safe Sleep Environments for Infants
- Child Development and the Effects of Trauma: The Essentials
- One of the following:
- Child Development and the Effects of Trauma: Infant and Toddler Development
- Child Development and the Effects of Trauma: School Age Child Development
- Child Development and the Effects of Trauma: Adolescent Development
STEP 2 – FOSTER PARENT CORE CLASS
The in-service, 2-day Foster Parent Core Class is a parenting class that provides essential info for new foster parents.
This class is conveniently offered in Cañon City for Chaffee residents and covers the most essential information for fostering.
Contact us to sign up for the Foster Core Parenting Class.
STEP 3 – The Colorado Child Welfare Training System
The remaining credits are elective and may be chosen based on the needs or interests of the foster family. The Colorado Child Welfare Training System offers a wide variety of courses to select from.
Tips for registering with the Colorado Child Welfare Training System:
- In the middle of the page, click on “Foster, Kin & Adoptive Parent Site”
- In the top toolbar, click on “Find a Class”
- From here, a new applicant may choose “Get Started.” You will need to create an account in the Moodle online course program
“Course Registration” will provide a drop-down menu of both required and elective courses
- The “New Foster Core Academy” is a good starting point for initial applicants seeking information
- “In Service Learning Experiences for All Audiences” provides a helpful list of all the courses and a description